Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Old Clock

My great great grandfather, John Albert Lincoln Widener brought this clock with him to Texas from Arkansas in the late 1800's. It's a Seth Thomas shelf clock made of mahogany wood. After his death, my great grandmother, Arrelsey Ann Widener Stafford, inherited it. After Arrelsey passed away, there was a great debate among her children about who would get it. The clock had stopped working many years before this, but all of her children fought hard over it. Thankfully, my grandfather was the one who ended up with it. The first night that he placed it on his mantle, during the middle of the night, it started working and at midnight, it chimed twelve times, then stopped working again and has never worked again since. My grandpa always said that it was his mother's way of saying that the clock was in the right hands. It sort of spooked everyone  and my sister even says that the clock gives her the creeps, but I think it is a very cool story. The clock is now in my father's possession and I'm hoping and praying that one day I will inherit it.

No comments:

Post a Comment